Thursday, October 8, 2009

the job hunt

it's funny how quickly 'i quit my job' becomes 'i want that job'

i guess not really all that quickly, since i've been essentially on vacation since july.

but the job quitting and the adventuring around the country is about more than shirking responsibilities and holding on to the carefree days of youth for as long as possible. and the new job search is about more than finding a way to finance more gallivanting on the west coast. the job quitting, the road trips, the folk festivals, leaving toronto, the west coast adventures, all of it (listen up kids, here it comes) is about building for myself the kind of life that i would like to be living.

so here i am, getting excited about jobs at the university of victoria. good jobs. jobs where i could work part time, cover all of my expenses, and have a zillion hours to pursue my own activities and interests. i could take courses, make music, volunteer with campus radio, volunteer on a farm, take up surfing and a million other things.

i expect intense competition for the jobs, they are after all, really sweet. i imagine i will be up against much more qualified and experienced individuals. But maybe, just maybe, i'll be able to convince them to give me a shot. if i don't get my dream job - a study abroad advisor with the international and exchange student services office -maybe they'll at least let me work in food services. i'm certainly qualified for that, and it would give me status as an internal applicant for future postings, and allow me to apply for the really sweet jobs like working in the library.

browsing craigslist it is apparent that as a young able bodied mobile person with few financial responsibilities or other commitments, i shouldn't ever have too much trouble finding jobs that will keep a roof over my head and food on my plate. but i'm thankful that, at this point, i don't need to wash dishes for $10 an hour and can concentrate on applying for jobs that could go somewhere.

and if nothing works out, i can always be a snowboard bum this winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment