Friday, October 23, 2009

happy birthday momma!

i wrote a song today. it's about rain. and it's a happy song. almost excessively happy.

all summer i could swear the sun was following me around. everyone around me was whining about the shitty weather but all i can remember is sunny road trips, swimming in clear lakes and browned skin. when i got to bc everyone wanted to warn me about the impending doom of endless rainfall. for the first few weeks it was an unfulfilled prophesy. even the weather people kept pushing back their predictions of when the rain would fall. some days i was convinced it it was a giant hoax and the rain would never come.

but of course it has rained. but even on days when it rains the sun will come out. and the rain is either light or short lived. and the rain is beautiful. because i'm unemployed, it's an excuse to spend a day curled up with a guitar or a book and some tea. and it makes things grow. today i was so happy about the rain that i started singing about it.

rewind to the peterborough folk festival. one of my favourite moments of the weekend was when canadian folk legend penny lang and her grandson jason lang led the crowd in a singalong of 'we shall not be moved'. http://www.xtec.cat/~vfeliu/lyrics/folk.htm#sha2 here's one version of the lyrics, if you are unfamiliar. i had never heard it before, but the simple tune and repetitive lyrics made it easy to catch on to. it was a really beautiful moment. i decided right then that i wanted to write a song like that - dripping with singalongability.

so that's what i was thinking about when i wrote this. here it is, dedicated to my mom, on her birthday.

Rain Dance – Jacqueline Ronson
Oct 23, 2009

G-G-C-G/G-G-C-D/G-G-C-G/G-D-G-G

I don’t need to go outside today
I think I’ll stay inside and play
I don’t need to go outside today
Let rain fall let it fall let it fall

I’m gonna dance round my living room
I’m gonna dance to a brand new tune
I’m gonna dance round my living room
Let rain fall let it fall let it fall

I’m gonna sing at the top of my lungs
And I’ll sing till every song is sung
I’m gonna sing at the top of my lungs
Let rain fall let it fall let it fall

I can hear the rain’s steady beat
It makes me wanna tap my feet
I can hear the rain’s steady beat
Let rain fall let it fall let it fall

In the creek, the pebbles are singing
The crickets hum and the fish are swimming
In the creek, the pebbles are singing
Let rain fall let it fall let it fall

I can hear the thunder boom
It stirs my soul and it shakes the room
I can hear the thunder boom
Let rain fall let it fall let it fall

I can see the lightning strike the earth
With it’s fire there comes rebirth
I can see the lightning strike the earth
Let rain fall let it fall let it fall

The trees are shining right to their roots
Drawing water right up the shoots
The trees are shining right to their roots
Let rain fall let it fall let it fall

And the seeds in the soil will grow
Waking up from beneath the snow
And the seeds in the soil will grow
Let rain fall let it fall let it fall

I can see the farmer smiling now
She knows it’ll work out somehow
I can see the farmer smiling now
Let rain fall let it fall let it fall

I’m gonna run right out into the wind
Let the rain soak right through my skin
I’m gonna run right out into the wind
Let rain fall let it fall let it fall

I’m gonna breathe in the freshest air
And let it carry away all of my cares
I’m gonna breathe in the freshest air
Let rain fall let it fall let it fall

I’ll shout praises to the sky up above
For sending me the rain that I love
I’ll shout praises to the sky up above
Let rain fall let it fall let it fall (x3)

2 comments:

  1. jacks you went to too many folk festivals this summer... you confused peterborough with ottawa. get em straight for folk sake. just kinding, love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup. meant ottawa. i was picturing the right one in my head, just typed the wrong thing.

    ReplyDelete